If a loved one is far away, a fun way to stay connected on holidays is by sending care packages! And of course Halloween-- one of the most fun holidays of the year-- is coming up quickly. And there's no way your special someone wouldn't love a surprise package full of goodies!
A care package doesn't have to be too expensive either. Whenever I send one I go to the post office and pick up a medium or large flat rate box. They are free to take home, you pay when you send it! The cost of shipping is the same, no matter how much you put in the box, so get your money's worth by stuffing the box with all of these goodies:
- Decorations! Cover the box in orange and black paper. Cut out ghost shapes and paste them on. Throw in some fake spider webs and little plastic spiders for effects. See this care package made by this blogger? She did an amazing job! Her blog also some great tips about care packages, and how to pack and send them.
- CANDY! What are their favorites? For chocolate lovers, Reeses Peanut Butter Cups are perfect with their bright orange wrapper. Mmmm now I want Reeses...
- An animal hat! Your special person can wear it around this fall season, looking awesome and staying warm. Plus, you're crafty, that's why you're here reading this... so you would enjoy the opportunity to break out your sewing machine and make one of these adorable owl animal hats just as much as the gifted would enjoy wearing it!
- Pumpkin toilet paper! Is the care package for a college student or a broke recent grad? Then send them one of life's greatest necessities wrapped up to look like a pumpkin. I would have laughed so hard if my mom had sent me a bunch of pumpkin toilet paper (courtesy of One Charming Party) while I was in college. And I bet everyone in my dorm would have appreciate it as well. And if the TP isn't cute enough, take note of the ghost pops! Such an amazing idea.
- Nail Polish! If the care package is your for girlfriend or daughter, toss in some nail polish in black and orange to keep her fingers and toes in theme!
- Socks! It's fall, and it's getting cold, especially at night. Keep your loved ones tootsies warm with orange and black or otherwise Halloween themed socks. Not only are they cozy and cute, but their functional. Everyone always needs more socks.
- Mini Pumpkins! Paint one of those teeny tiny pumpkins with a spooky face on one side and a message on the back. I like these, with their little witch hats from AllFreeCrafts.net. They look menacing. Muahahaha.
- Treat Filled Cookies! Not Martha has just about the coolest Halloween cookies I have ever seen. Wrap them up tight with plastic wrap, in packs of 3 or 4, and they will stay fresh in transit.
- And finally, Hocus Pocus on DVD. No Halloween is complete without a ritual viewing of Hocus Pocus, the great Halloween movie ever made. Bette Midler with crazy teeth, Sarah Jessica Parker before Sex and the City, talking black cats, virgins, "yabos", black flame candles, and continuous honest-to-goodness fun. This movie will make absolutely anyone smile and get in the Halloween spirit. If it doesn't, I'll cast on a spell on them.
Now I just hope someone sends me a care package like this! Happy Halloween everyone :)